Saturday, April 14, 2012

Bidet


This is the way we use a bidet :).
On the first day I came here, I remembered that the first cross-cultural thing that was so different from my country was the American way of using a bidet. Actually, I have just known how to call this gadget recently from one of my American friends after spending almost ten minutes describing and drawing this tool on the paper. It is what Americans use in a sink to wash vegetables, but Thai people use bidet instead of using only tissue after finishing “our private business” in the restroom. Surely, Americans have what they call “bathroom bidet,” but it normally comes with a luxurious toilet, and users have to move from one toilet to another to use a bidet, which is very uncomfortable for us. But it is even more uncomfortable to use just tissue, no water involved at all, which is what the way Americans normally do. I really do not understand why they can use only tissue while this country has cold weather; I think it hurts when I only use tissue only for “that purpose” in the winter. After almost two years of living here, I just had courage enough to ask my close friend what is the real reason why Americans do not usually use what I have found on Google:  “bathroom bidet spray hand held/shower head.” But the answer was quite unreasonable for me: “We use only tissue because it is cleaner; I think the way you use water can, sometimes, cause us to be more dirty because it is wet and might cause the restroom to be wet also.” Well, no offense, I wish I had more courage to answer her: “If you are skillful enough, like us, you can control it..umm….very precisely.” I hope I have a chance to invite her to my country, so I can teach her how to do it. It is easier that way.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think your friend's explanation makes much sense to me either. lol
    Fun post. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete