Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Thai Sunny Side Up.


After almost two years in the US, the thing that frustrates me the most is that I cannot cook my favorite food item in my home: Thai sunny side up. The Thai sunny side up egg is not a white, flat, two-dimensional, almost symmetrical circle that has beautiful orange half-circle in the center like American sunny side up. It is an asymmetrical white circle surrounded by a brown, crispy rim with a center of orange and a brown crispy surface on the other side.

                                     
The reasons that prevent me from cooking Thailand’s easiest-to-cook food item are ridiculous: place and instrument. First, this food requires a big wok, not an American small, flat pan. Second, it requires me to have an outdoor place to cook because I have to use a gas oven, not an American built-in electric oven that I have in my apartment.  It is impossible for just an Asian student like me to find a gas oven. It is also impossible to just open my door and cook on the corridor outside my room with tons of smoke without someone yelling at me or thinking that this building is burning.

                                    
To cook it is, again, easy: open the gas, pour a lot of oil—any cooking oil at all—on the wok, wait until the oil becomes quite hot, drop the egg, wait until the egg is a bit cooked, put the hot oil on the rim of white portion of the egg, leave the yolk to be as rare as possible, and do not flip the egg.
If you want to try to cook Thai homemade food, you can begin with this simple food at home, but the easiest way is that you just buy the instruments, prepare many eggs and your backyard, call me, and don’t forget to share.

                                              

  ["Pad kapao kai dao" (minced beef with basil and sunny side up), one of Thais' favorite menu]

Pictures from : www.the-sweet-lime.com
                         www.foreigners-in-china.com 

                         blog.nationmultimedia.com/panalwayscute

3 comments:

  1. Smell good, Candy.

    Yes, I wish they have an open area for "Asian cook" too. So frustrating lol.

    Your post makes me wonder if other countries'egg menus are different as well.

    By the way, I like your background. It's so YOU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha..Yes, it's super me. Thanks:D.
      I have heard that some parts of Korea has this kind of egg menu, too.
      Yummy, hah?
      Let's go to Thai House 2 sometimes lol.

      Delete
  2. That dish looks wonderful and I live behind Thai House 2! I've mastered the art of Western cooking, but I would love to dabble in recipes from the East!

    ReplyDelete