Sunday, March 11, 2012

Ariel (The Little Mermaid).





Among the many Disney princesses, the one that I love the most is the little mermaid, Ariel. She is not only the only non-human Disney princess but she also has a unique look: the only red haired Disney princess with cute, big, blue eyes and thin, red lips that look sexy and pretty at the same time. Of course, the significant characteristic of mermaids is their beautiful voices, but unlike typical mermaids’ innocent voices that are like a pure crystal glass, Ariel’s voice is more like a colorful stained glass; the vivid colors comes from a teenager’s curiosity, dreams, and innocence. The thing that I love the most about her and that distinguishes her from tons of Disney princesses is that her humanized characteristics are very contemporary and touchable, not too idealistic like those of the others. 
Most Disney princess are, sometimes, too friendly and care about every single one near them. Take Snow White as an example. She cares and tries to makes friend with the seven dwarves or even many animals she meets when she get lost in the forest as she runs away from her step mother’s killer, and she does a successful job on that (Think about it! if you got lost in a forest, you would surely try to find the way out as soon as possible without singing or making friend with wild animals, like Snow White). 
However, sixteen-year-old Ariel is more like a teenager nowadays: rebellious, adventurous, passionate but still innocent. She hates to follow her dad’s advice not to come close to humans; she does not care about her dad or her dad’s advisor, Sebastian; all she cares is about her dream of becoming human and being with the one she falls in love with, Eric, who is a human and, of course, a prince charming. However, because of her innocence, she makes a big mistake by making a deal with Ursula--the sea witch who wants her father’s throne--which in turn, almost makes her father lose his kingdom.  While she seems to be just an ignorant, spoiled teenager, she finally realizes that she has made a mistake and accepts it by designing to live with her father in the mermaid world. Therefore, in the end, I can see that Ariel grows up to be a more responsible person. She is the princess that is not perfect or ideal from the beginning, but she can change and care more about others from her experiences. This is another thing that makes this princess more like human, not just two-dimensional animated characters, and makes her reachable than the other princesses. And if you want to know how much I am crazy about her, just look at my hair, it is red ;).



Fun Fact ::
In the film, Waking Sleeping Beauty (the documentary about charts the rebirth of Disney animation), 
the artist, "Glen Keane, who specialized in drawing villains, heard the pre-recorded demo of Jodi Benson singing 'Part of Your World' and begged to draw Ariel. The 'Little Mermaid' directors said to him, 'Can you even draw a pretty girl?' And Glen said, 'I've got to draw Ariel. I can feel it in my heart.' It was that kind of inspiration." 
Yes, she was really "created" from her personalities. 
Links: 
Part of Your World (with lyrics):

 
 
Waking Sleeping Beauty Trailer:

7 comments:

  1. Hi Candy, brilliant write up and I want to go and see the movie now! I really like seeing how movies are made especially animated. They seem a great bunch of people and what a cool studio!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks so much.
      I'm so glad that it makes you wanna see the movie.
      It's great and very insightful, especially if you are a Disney freak lol.
      Do you like Disney's stuffs or cartoons?
      What is(was) your fave princess (when you were young or now)?

      Delete
  2. Candy, I have always loved Disney movies! Both real life and cartoons. When I was young I was scared of the step mother in Snow White! Cried in Bambi! Loved The Aristocats!! ...kept singing the songs in that movie! Fave princess ...I love Mulan she is strong and independent. Also really like Belle, in Beauty and The Beast, again strong and she saw beyond appearances.Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I cried in Bambi and even in the Lion King lol.

      I like Snow White's story too. It's a bid dark. BTW, you might check this out if you (once) like Snow White.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3sOFuNCo7k&feature=related
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFYkplvAJV8&feature=related

      I think you've heard of them already, maybe ;)
      Can't wait!!
      ...AND thanks for your reply :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Candy,

      I have just seen these....quite a change from the original Walt Disney films!!

      I like Julia Roberts and Mirror Mirror looks fun! Will let you know when I get to see them!

      Helen :)

      Delete
  3. I love The Little Mermaid. I remember being in 4th grade and being so excited to see in opening day. Little did I know I was the only boy in my class with the same excitement as I learned Monday morning as I beamed about the movie and sang the songs (I had bought the soudtrack after watching it.)

    Obviously, I got made fun of pretty hard that week. So the following weekend, I went and saw the bloodiest, maliest movie I could find. Actually, I went and saw The Little Mermaid again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol!! This is so funny. So, what was the "bloodiest, maliest movie" you see?

    ReplyDelete